Landon IP’s IP Analytics Group (IPAG) recently launched a new suite of analytics and advisory services designed to further enhance our ability to help companies maximize their performance through the strategic use of intellectual property data. Based on our team’s expertise in searching, reviewing, and evaluating patents and non-patent literature in all major technology areas, we develop customized studies addressing complex analytical problems that are unique to each customer.
According to Matt Luby, Director of IP Analytics, “Everyone in the industry knows what a patent search is, but there isn’t a shared understanding of analytics and the added-value it can provide to support a company’s IP positioning. IP analytics projects generally require searching patents, but as an input to a broader technical review and interpretation effort designed to provide answers to specific questions.” He added, “Our new suite of services is designed to help our customers understand how IP analytics can improve their strategic decision-making.” Some of the key questions that can be addressed through Landon IP’s analytics projects include:
- What inventors, companies, and universities are active in a particular industry or technological field?
- Does your organization have patents granted that support a specific product line or technology?
- What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of the patents in your portfolio? Where are the potential licensing opportunities?
- What research and development opportunities exist in non-patented, whitespace areas in your industry?
- Is there evidence that one or more claims of your patent are being practiced by a competitor’s product?
Landon IP’s new, streamlined suite of IP analytics services, which is targeted to meet the most critical needs of our corporate customers, includes:
- Innovation Workshop – With the involvement of your scientists, engineers, and business leaders, we facilitate a structured discussion that helps identify which of your organization’s inventions to protect, pursue, or abandon.
- Patent Landscape Study – We analyze information relevant to an industry or technology, allowing us to assess trends relating to: filing activity; what inventors, companies, and universities are active; technological development; concentration of innovation and competition; and whitespace opportunities.
- Patent Portfolio Categorization – We perform a customized review of your company’s patent portfolio and produce a searchable, categorized database of all of your patents and pending applications, which may be used to answer key questions about your portfolio.
- Licensing and Commercialization Study – We review patents in your portfolio and assign objective and subjective metrics that support ranking and filtering on criteria such as relative technological strengths and weaknesses, future potential value, and potential licensing opportunities.
- Patent-to-Standards Mapping and Patent-to-Product Mapping – Patent-to-Standards Mapping determines how your patents relate to the relevant standard-essential patents, to aid in licensing decisions. Patent-to-Product Mapping is frequently used to map your own patents to your own products, to evaluate the level of alignment and identify the most important patents in your portfolio and the protection they provide to your products.
- Evidence of Use Study – These studies use a Claim Chart and drawings, photographs, or other illustrations to show how one or more claims of your patent were practiced by a competitor’s product.
- IP Due Diligence Support – We evaluate technologies and technical issues relevant to licensing, mergers and acquisitions, and other commercial transactions.
To learn more about how our IP Analytics Group can help your company transform intellectual property into a strategic advantage, click the links below: